Thanks Victoria. Makes sense to me.

On 2/13/23 5:55 PM, Victoria Xia wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have just pushed two minor amendments to KIP-889:

    - Updated the versioned store specification to clarify that the *"history
    retention" parameter is also used as "grace period,"* which means that
    writes (including inserts, updates, and deletes) to the store will not be
    accepted if the associated timestamp is older than the store's grace period
    (i.e., history retention) relative to the current observed stream time.
       - Additional context: previously, the KIP was not explicit about
       if/when old writes would no longer be accepted. The reason for
enforcing a
       strict grace period after which writes will no longer be accepted is
       because otherwise tombstones must be retained indefinitely -- if
the latest
       value for a key is a very old tombstone, we would not be able to
expire it
       from the store because if there’s an even older non-null put to the store
       later, then without the tombstone the store would accept this
write as the
       latest value for the key, even though it isn't. In the spirit of
not adding
       more to this KIP which has already been accepted, I do not propose to add
       additional interfaces to allow users to configure grace period separately
       from history retention at this time. Such options can be introduced in a
       future KIP in a backwards-compatible way.
    - Added a *new method to TopologyTestDriver* for getting a versioned
    store: getVersionedKeyValueStore().
       - This new method is analogous to existing methods for other types of
       stores, and its previous omission from the KIP was an oversight.

If there are no concerns / objections, then perhaps these updates are minor
enough that we can proceed without re-voting.

Happy to discuss,
Victoria

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 8:22 AM Victoria Xia <victoria....@confluent.io>