Thanks for the KIP. LGTM.

I believe you can start a vote.

-Matthias

On 6/26/23 11:25 AM, Lucia Cerchie wrote:
Thanks for asking for clarification, Sophie; that gives me guidance on
improving the KIP! Here's the updated version, including the JIRA link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-941%3A+Range+queries+to+accept+null+lower+and+upper+bounds

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 12:57 PM Sophie Blee-Goldman <ableegold...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hey Lucia, thanks for the KIP! Just some minor notes:

I'm in favor of the proposal overall, at least I think so -- for someone
not intimately familiar with the new IQ API and *RangeQuery* class, the KIP
was a bit difficult to follow along and I had to read in between the lines
to figure out what the old behavior was and what the new and improved logic
would do.

It would be good to state clearly in the beginning what happens when null
is passed in right now, and what will happen after this KIP is implemented.
For example in the "Public Interfaces" section, I couldn't tell if the
middle sentence was describing what was changing, or what it was changing
*to.*

One last little thing is can you link to the jira ticket at the top? And
please create one if it doesn't already exist -- it helps people figure out
when a KIP has been implemented and in which versions, as well as navigate
from the KIP to the actual code that was merged. Things can change during
implementation and the KIP document is how most people read up on new
features, but almost all of us are probably guilty of forgetting to update
the KIP document. So it's important to be able to find the code when in
doubt.

Otherwise nice KIP!

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 8:19 AM Lucia Cerchie
<lcerc...@confluent.io.invalid>
wrote:

Thanks Kirk and John for the valuable feedback!

John, I'll update the KIP to reflect that nuance you mention -- yes it is
just about making the withRange method more permissive. Thanks for the
testing file as well, I'll be sure to write my test cases there.