[This is a resend with the correct KIP number.]

Hello developers of the Java based consumer,

I submitted https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/13914 to fix a long standing problem that the Kafka consumer on the JVM is not usable from asynchronous runtimes such as Kotlin co-routines and ZIO. However, since it extends the public API I was requested to create a KIP.

So here it is:
KIP-944 Support async runtimes in consumer https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/chw0Dw

Any questions, comments, ideas and other additions are welcome!

The KIP should be complete except for the testing section. As far as I am aware there are no tests for the current behavior. Any help in this area would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Erik.

--
Erik van Oosten