Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 3.5.1.

This release is a security patch release. It upgrades the dependency,
snappy-java, to a version which is not vulnerable to CVE-2023-34455. You
can find more information about the CVE at Kafka CVE list
<https://kafka.apache.org/cve-list#CVE-2023-3445>.

Additionally, this releases fixes a regression introduced in 3.3.0, which
caused security.protocol configuration values to be restricted to upper
case only. With this release, security.protocol values are
case insensitive. See KAFKA-15053
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15053> for details.

Release notes for the 3.5.1 release:
https://home.apache.org/~divijv/kafka-3.5.1-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday, July 18, 9am PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~divijv/kafka-3.5.1-rc0/

Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~divijv/kafka-3.5.1-rc0/javadoc/

Tag to be voted upon (off 3.5 branch) is the 3.5.1 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.5.1-rc0

Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/35/documentation.html
Please note that documentation will be updated with upgrade notes (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/4c78fd64454e25e3536e8c7ed5725d3fbe944a49)
after the release is complete.

Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/35/protocol.html

Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.5/35/ (9 failures).
I am running another couple of runs to ensure that there are no
consistently failing tests. I have verified that unit/integration tests on
my local machine successfully pass.

System tests:
Not planning to run system tests since this is a patch release.

Thank you.

--
Divij Vaidya
Release Manager for Apache Kafka 3.5.1