Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the second candidate (RC1) for release of Apache Kafka 3.5.1. First
release candidate (RC0) was discarded due to incorrect license files. They
have been fixed since then.

This release is a security patch release. It upgrades the dependency,
snappy-java, to a version which is not vulnerable to CVE-2023-34455. You
can find more information about the CVE at Kafka CVE list
<https://kafka.apache.org/cve-list#CVE-2023-3445>.

Additionally, this releases fixes a regression introduced in 3.3.0, which
caused security.protocol configuration values to be restricted to upper
case only. With this release, security.protocol values are
case insensitive. See KAFKA-15053
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15053> for details.

Release notes for the 3.5.1 release:
https://home.apache.org/~divijv/kafka-3.5.1-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Thursday, July 20, 9am PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~divijv/kafka-3.5.1-rc1/

Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~divijv/kafka-3.5.1-rc1/javadoc/

Tag to be voted upon (off 3.5 branch) is the 3.5.1 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.5.1-rc1

Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/35/documentation.html
Please note that documentation will be updated with upgrade notes (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/4c78fd64454e25e3536e8c7ed5725d3fbe944a49)
after the release is complete.

Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/35/protocol.html

Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.5/43/ (2 failures)
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.5/42/ (6 failures)
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.5/39/ (9 failures)

In all 3 runs above, there are no common tests which are failing, which
leads me to believe that they are flaky. I have also verified that
unit/integration tests on my local machine successfully pass (JDK 17 +
Scala 2.13)

System tests:
Not planning to run system tests since this is a patch release.

Thank you.

--
Divij Vaidya
Release Manager for Apache Kafka 3.5.1