Thanks a lot for providing more background. It's getting much clear to me now.

Couple of follow up questions:

It is not possible to use table-table join in this case because triggering
events are supplied separately from the actual data entity that needs to be
"assembled" and these events could only be presented as KStream due to
their nature.

Not sure if I understand this part? Why can't those events not represented as a KTable. You say "could only be presented as KStream due to their nature" -- what do you mean by this?

In the end, my understanding is the following (using the example for the KIP):

For the shipments <-> orders and order-details <-> orders join, shipment and order-details are the fact table, what is "reverse" to what you want? Using existing FK join, it would mean you get two enriched tables, that you cannot join to each other any further (because we don't support n:m join): in the end, shipmentId+orderDetailId would be the PK of such a n:m join?

If that's correct, (just for the purpose to make sure I understand correctly), if we would add an n:m join, you could join shipment <-> order-details first, and use a FK join to enrich the result with orders. -- In addition, you could also do a FK join to event if you represent events as a table (this relates to my question from above, why events cannot be represented as a KTable).

A the KIP itself, I am still wondering about details: if we get an event in, and we do a lookup into the "FK table" and find multiple matches, would we emit multiple results? This would kinda defeat the purpose to re-assemble everything into a single entity? (And it might require an additional aggregation downstream to put the entity together.) -- Or would we join the singe event, with all found table rows, and emit a single "enriched" event?

Thus, I am actually wondering, if you would not pre-process both shipment and order-details table, via `groupBy(orderId)` and assemble a list (or similar) of alls shipments (or order-details) per order? If you do this pre-processing, you can do a PK-PK (1:1) join with the orders table, and also do a stream-table join to enrich your events will the full order information?

-Matthias