Hi Krishna,

Looks like you sent the response to me and not the mailing list,
please include the mailing list in the replies. Comments below.

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 11:45 AM Krishna Agarwal <
krishna0608agar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ismael,
> Thanks for the questions.
>
>    1. We intend to support only the latest Java supported by Apache
>    Kafka(As per this documentation
>    <https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#java> Apache Kafka currently
>    supports Java 8, Java 11, and Java 17) which currently is Java 17. If
>    Apache Kafka supports Java 21 in the future, we will align with it.
>
> We are already building and testing with Java 21 (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/14451 updates `README.md` to indicate
that). By 3.7.0 (the next release), we'll have Java 21 as one of the
officially supported versions. I think we should start with that version
for both docker image KIPs.

>    1. For users seeking a Docker image with an alternative Java version,
>    they will have the flexibility to build their own Docker image utilising
>    the Dockerfiles we provide. In our documentation, we will provide clear
>    guidance on the designated base images for various Java versions.
>
> This sounds good to me. We should include these details as part of the KIP
and also the documentation for the docker images. More specifically, we
should state that we will update the Java major version as part of minor
Apache Kafka releases. The implication is that users who include broker
plugins alongside the broker should use custom images to ensure their
custom code is not broken by Java upgrades.

>    1. Apache Kafka only requires JRE, not JDK, for operation. Utilizing a
>    base image with only JRE, rather than JDK, is a logical choice as it
>    significantly reduces the size of the docker image.
>    Upon further investigation, I discovered the eclipse-temurin
>
> <https://hub.docker.com/layers/library/eclipse-temurin/17-jre/images/sha256-d1dfb065ae433fe1b43ac7e50a1ed03660f487c73ec256c686b126c37fd4d086?context=explore>
>    docker image, which is notably smaller than Redhat’s ubi8 docker image (263
>    MB vs 375 MB). Additionally, the fact that Apache Flink relies on
>    eclipse-temurin base images
>
> <https://github.com/apache/flink-docker/blob/master/1.17/scala_2.12-java11-ubuntu/Dockerfile#L19>
>    further increases our confidence in their dependability(Will make this
>    change in the KIP).
>
> Yes, eclipse-temurin looks like a good choice to me. Nice size reduction!

>    1. I'll conduct comparisons between our docker image and existing
>    ones, and incorporate the findings into the KIP. I'll keep you posted on
>    the same.
>
> Excellent, thanks!

Ismael