Thanks for letting me drive it, folks.

I've created the 3.7.0 release page here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+3.7.0
It outlines the key milestones and important dates for the release.

In particular, since the last two releases slipped their originally
targeted release date by taking an average of 46 days after code freeze (as
opposed to the minimum which is 14 days), I pulled the dates forward to try
and catch up with the original release schedule.
You can refer to the last release during the Christmas holiday season - Apache
Kafka 3.4
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Plan+3.4.0> - to
see sample dates.

The currently proposed dates are:

*KIP Freeze - 18th November *(Saturday)
*This is 1 month and four days from now - rather short - but I'm afraid is
the only lever that's easy to pull forward.*
As usual, a KIP must be accepted by this date in order to be considered for
this release. Note, any KIP that may not be implemented in a week, or that
might destabilize the release, should be deferred.

*Feature Freeze - 8th December* (Friday)
*This follows 3 weeks after the KIP Freeze, as has been the case in our
latest releases.*
By this point, we want all major features to be merged & us to be working
on stabilisation. Minor features should have PRs, the release branch should
be cut; anything not in this state will be automatically moved to the next
release in JIRA

*Code Freeze - 20th December* (Wednesday)

*Critically, this is before the holiday season and ends in the middle of
the week, to give contributors more time and flexibility to address any
last-minute without eating into the time people usually take holidays. It
comes 12 days after the Feature Freeze.This is two days shorter than the
usual code freeze window. I don't have a strong opinion and am open to
extend it to Friday, or trade off a day/two with the KF<->FF date range.*

*Release -* *after January 3rd*.
*It comes after a minimum of two weeks of stabilization, so the earliest we
can start releasing is January 3rd. We will move as fast as we can and aim
completing it as early in January as possible.*

As for the initially-populated KIPs in the release plan, I did the
following:

I kept 4 KIPs that were mentioned in 3.6, saying they would have minor
parts finished in 3.7 (as the major ones went out in 3.6)
- KIP-405 Tiered Storage mentioned a major part went out with 3.6 and the
remainder will come with 3.7
- KIP-890 mentioned Part 1 shipped in 3.6. I am assuming the remainder will
come in 3.7, and have contacted the author to confirm.
- KIP-926 was partially implemented in 3.6. I am assuming the remainder
will come in 3.7, and have contacted the author to confirm.
- KIP-938 mentioned that the majority was completed and a small remainder
re: ForwardingManager metrics will come in 3.7. I have contacted the author
to confirm.

I then went through the JIRA filter which looks at open issues with a Fix
Version of 3.7 and added KIP-770, KIP-858, and KIP-980.
I also found a fair amount of JIRAs that were targeting the 3.7 release but
consecutively had no activity on them for the past few releases. For most
of those, I pinged the author and explicitly asked if it's going to aim to
make it to 3.7. I have not included those here and will not until I hear
confirmation.

Please review the plan and provide any additional information or updates
regarding KIPs that target this release version (3.7).
If you have authored any KIPs that have an inaccurate status in the list,
or are not in the list and should be, or are in the list and should not be
- please inform me in this thread so that I can keep the document accurate
and up to date.

Excited to get this release going!

All the best,
Stanislav