Great discussion. Seems we are making good progress.

I see advantages and disadvantages in splitting out a "single-ts key-range" query type. I guess, the main question might be, what use-cases do we anticipate and how common we believe they are?

We should also take KIP-992 (adding `TimestampedRangeQuery`) into account.

(1) The most common use case seems to be, a key-range over latest. For this one, we could use `TimestampedRangeQuery` -- it would return a `ValueAndTimestamp<V>` instead of a `VersionedRecord<V>` but the won't be any information loss, because "toTimestamp" would be `null` anyway.

(2) The open question is, how common is a key-range in a point in the past? For this case, using `MultiVersionedRangeQuery.withKeyRange().from(myTs).to(myTs)` seems actually not to be a bad UX, and also does not really need to be explained how to do this (compared to "latest" that required to pass in MAX_INT).

If we add a new query type, we avoid both issues (are they actually issues?) and add some nice syntactic sugar to the API. The question is, if it's worth the effort and expanded API surface area?

To summarize:

Add new query type:

// queries latest; returns VersionedRecords
VersionedRangeQuery.withKeyRange(...);

VersionedRangeQuery.withKeyRange(...).asOf(ts);

vs

No new query type:

// queries latest; returns ValueAndTimestamps
TimestampedRangeQuery.withRange(...);
MultiVersionedRangeQuery.withKeyRange(...).from(myTs).to(myTs)

I guess, bottom line, I would be ok with either one and I am actually not even sure which one I prefer personally. Just wanted to lay out the tradeoffs I see. Not sure if three are other considerations that would tip the scale into either direction?

-Matthias