Just catching up on this one.

50) I am also in favor of setting `validTo` in VersionedRecord for single-key single-ts lookup; it seems better to return the proper timestamp. The timestamp is already in the store and it's cheap to extract it and add to the result, and it might be valuable information for the user. Not sure though if we should deprecate the existing constructor though, because for "latest" it's convenient to have?

60) Yes, I meant `VersionedRecord`. Sorry for the mixup.

80) We did discuss this question on KIP-985 (maybe you missed it Bruno). It's kinda tricky.

Historically, it seems that IQv1, ie, the `ReadOnlyXxx` interfaces provide a clear contract that `range()` is ascending and `reverseRange()` is descending.

For `RangeQuery`, the question is, if we did implicitly inherit this contract? Our conclusion on KIP-985 discussion was, that we did inherit it. If this holds true, changing the contract would be a breaking change (what might still be acceptable, given that the interface is annotated as unstable, and that IQv2 is not widely adopted yet). I am happy to go with the 3-option contract, but just want to ensure we all agree it's the right way to go, and we are potentially willing to pay the price of backward incompatibility.

Do we need a snapshot semantic or can we specify a weaker but still useful semantic?

I don't think we necessarily need it, but as pointed out by Lucas, all existing queries provide it. Overall, my main point is really about not implementing something "random", but defining a proper binding contract that allows users to reason about it.

I general, I agree that weaker semantics might be sufficient, but I am not sure if we can implement anything weaker in a reasonable way? Happy to be convinced otherwise. (I have some example, that I will omit for now, as I hope we can actually go with snapshot semantics.)

The RocksDB Snaptshot idea from Lucas sounds very promising. I was not aware that we could do this with RocksDB (otherwise I might have suggested it on the PR right away). I guess the only open question remaining would be, if we can provide the same guarantees for a future in-memory implementation for VersionedStores? It sounds possible to do, but we should have some level of confidence about it?

-Matthias