Hey folks

Before I file a KIP to change this in 4.0, I wanted to understand the
historical context for the value of the following setting.

Currently, segment.ms minimum threshold is set to 1ms [1].

Segments are expensive. Every segment uses multiple file descriptors and
it's easy to run out of OS limits when creating a large number of segments.
Large number of segments also delays log loading on startup because of
expensive operations such as iterating through all directories &
conditionally loading all producer state.

I am currently not aware of a reason as to why someone might want to work
with a segment.ms of less than ~10s (number chosen arbitrary that looks
sane)

What was the historical context of setting the minimum threshold to 1ms for
this setting?

[1] https://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#topicconfigs_segment.ms

--
Divij Vaidya