Yes, about the "drop records" case. It's a very common scenario to have a repartition step before a windowed aggregation or a join with grace-period.

About "add feature vs guard users": it's always a tricky question and tradeoff. For this particular KIP, I personally think we should opt to not add the feature but guard the users, as I don't see too much value compared to the complexity and "traps" it adds. -- It's of course just my personal opinion, and if there is a asked from many users to add this feature, I would not push back further. As mentioned in my previous reply, I don't fully understand the motivation yet; maybe Nick can provide more context on it.

In other words, opting for the PAUSE option would simply stall the
task, and upon #resume it would just be discarding that record and then
continuing on with processing

Well, the KIP mentions the ability to either re-try the record (eg, after applying some external fix that would allow Kafka Streams to now deserialize the record now) or to skip it by advancing the offset. But to do this, we need to extend the `resume()` callback to pass in this information, making the whole setup and usage of this feature more complex, as one needs to so more upfront instrumentation of their custom code. -- It's just a technical thing we need to consider if we want to move forward, and the KIP should not say "advancing the consumer offsets, either via an external tool" because this cannot work. Just pointing out incorrect technical assumption, not disregarding that it can be done.

About committing: yes, I agree to all what you say, and again it was not meant as concern, but just as honest questions about some technical details. I think it would be good to consider there trade-offs and explain in the KIP why we want to do what. That's all.

-Matthias