Hi Omnia,

Thanks for the KIP.

I don't think we can adapt the ForwardingAdmin as-is for use as a
first-class Connect plugin.
1. It doesn't have a default constructor, and so can't be included in
the existing plugin discovery mechanisms.
2. It doesn't implement Versioned, and so won't have version
information exposed in the REST API

I also don't think that we should make the ForwardingAdmin a
second-class Connect plugin.
1. Having some plugins but not others benefit from classloader
isolation would be a "gotcha" for anyone familiar with existing
Connect plugins
2. Some future implementations may have a use-case for classloader
isolation (such as depending on their own HTTP/json library) and
retrofitting isolation would be more complicated than including it
initially.

I also have concerns about the complexity of the implementation as a
superclass instead of an interface, especially when considering the
evolution of the Admin interface.

I don't think the original proposal included the rejected alternative
of having the existing AdminClient talk to the federation layer, which
could implement a Kafka-compatible endpoint.
If a federation layer needs to intercept the Admin client behaviors,
It sounds more reasonable for that to be addressed for all Admin
clients at the network boundary rather than one-by-one updating the
Java APIs to use this new plugin.
This KIP appearing as a follow-up to KIP-787 is evidence that the
problem is more general than the proposed solution.

At this time I'm -1 for this proposal. I'm happy to discuss this more
in the DISCUSS thread.

Thanks,
Greg