Hi Jun,

Thanks for the feedback. See my comments below.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 2:21 PM Jun Rao <j...@confluent.io.invalid> wrote:
> 54. Yes, we could include SecurityProtocol in DescribeQuorumResponse. Then,
> we could include it in the output of kafka-metadata-quorum --describe.

Yes, I updated the DescribeQuorumResponse to include the
SecurityProtocol and I also updated the example output for
"kafka-metadata-quorum describe --status".

> 55.1 Could number-of-observers and pending-voter-change be reported by all
> brokers and controllers? I thought only the controller leader tracks those.

These metrics are reported by all of the KRaft replicas (broker and
controller). I think this makes it easier to monitor since metrics
collectors can collect the same metrics from all of the nodes
irrespective of their role (broker or controller). The main exception
that Kafka has right now is type=KafkaController vs
type=broker-metadata-metrics but I would favor a KIP that unified
these two sets of metrics to something like type=metadata-metrics.

> 55.2 So, IgnoredStaticVoters and IsObserver are Yammer metrics and the rest
> are KafkaMetric. It would be useful to document the metric names clearer.
> For Yammer metrics, we need to specify group, type, name and tags. For
> KafkaMetrics, we need to specify just name and tags.

Yeah. I always struggle with the MBean specification. I connected
jconsole to Kafka and updated the KIP to be more accurate. Please take
a look.

> 57. Could we remove --release-version 3.8 in the upgrade example?

Done. I also removed wording about deprecating --metadata from
kafka-features.sh. I'll let KIP-1022 and the discussion there make
that decision.

-José