The time window thing was just an idea. Happy to drop it.

For the oldest iterator metric, I would propose something simple like `iterator-opened-ms` and it would just be the actual timestamp when the iterator was opened. I don't think we need to compute the actual age, but user can to this computation themselves?

If we think reporting the age instead of just the timestamp is better, I would propose `iterator-max-age-ms`. I should be sufficient to call out (as it's kinda "obvious" anyway) that the metric applies to open iterator only.

And yes, I was hoping that the code inside MetereXxxStore might already be setup in a way that custom stores would inherit the iterator metrics automatically -- I am just not sure, and left it as an exercise for somebody to confirm :)

Nit: the KIP says it's a store-level metric, but I think it would be good to say explicitly that it's recorded with DEBUG level only?

-Matthias