Hi Justine,

See my comments below.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 4:43 PM Justine Olshan
<jols...@confluent.io.invalid> wrote:
> 20. I can update the KIP.

I took a look at the latest KIP.

* Should the output of this command "bin/kafka-features.sh
version-mapping --release-version 3.6-IV1" be something like this:
metadata.version=13
transaction.protocol.version=0
group.coordinator.version=0
kraft.version=0

I added the kraft.version to show the changes that are coming from
KIP-853. I find this formatting much easier to parse by scripts/tools.
They can even use Java's Properties parser if they want.

* Maybe I missed the discussion but can you talk about why both
"kafka-storage" and "kafka-features" are going to implement the
"version-mapping" and dependencies"? I assume that it is sufficient
for only one (kafka-features) to implement these new commands.

* For the command "dependencies" in the "kafka-features" command, it
is probably obvious that the dependencies listed are feature version
dependencies. This is not obvious when the user uses "kafka-storage
dependencies".  This reads as the dependencies of kafka-storage.

* Should we state that Kafka will not allow cycles in the feature
version dependency definition? Meaning the user is not allowed to
define a feature version X which depends on Y which depends on Z which
depends on X.

* Some of the example output start with the characters "> ". Will the
CLI print those characters or is that just part of the KIP's
formating?

-José