+1

(for the record, I favor the rejected alternative of not awaiting low
watermarks to go past the purge offset. I realize it offers a weaker
guarantee but it is still very useful, easier to implement, slightly
simpler API (no need to return a future) and you can still get access to
the current low watermark via a fetch request; although it would be weird
to include the low watermark on the purge response in this variation)