Looking at LuceneTestCase, I see the annotation from RandomizedTesting:
    @TimeoutSuite(millis = 2 * TimeUnits.HOUR)
This matches my observations of some builds that timed out, perhaps
some flaky test hanging in Solr (that extends LuceneTestCase).
Looking at this annotation, there is further documentation that the
default can be set via sysprop tests.timeoutSuite.  Wouldn't doing
that make more sense than hard-coding this figure in LuceneTestCase?
For example, I'd like to have a normal/default test run have a low
timeout (10min?) but on a "nightly" run on CI, use much higher.  Not 2
hours though; individual tests needing so much should have a
TimeoutSuite applied to them.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley