As an end user, having a single version of Maven that could build all
my projects (Java 8 - 21) would be preferred, even if it requires Java
21 to run.  That would allow for build pipeline standardization on a
single version of Maven and simplify things for developers.

That being said, if retiring Java 8 and lower output support allows
Maven to shed technical debt and deliver improvements faster, I'd get
over my disappointment. :)

Regards,
Robert Dean