So even though I'm on vacation this week I took the time to get the code from
git and read the wiki. Now I am even more concerned, even though I have read
everyone's responses.

Aether is NOT a replacement for the Wagon, from what I can tell it replaces all
the artifact resolution handling. This is handled through methods like
RepositorySystem.resolveDependencies. This relegates Maven to the status of
pretty much just a plugin processor.  I would be much less concerned if
aether-api was hosted somewhere outside of Apache or was even javax.repository
or somesuch thing. But aether-impl, etc belong in Maven, IMO.

Brian and I spoke at the last ApacheCon about the need to enhance the pom and
the only way we could see to do that was to have a new project descriptor in
addition to the pom. The ability to do this - and is something I have been
planning on working on once 3.0 is stable - would now be out of the control of
this project.

Although I like the structure of the code very much I am inclined to do one of
two things:
1. Vote -1 for inclusion.
2. Take the code as it is under the Apache license and check it in to Maven's
SVN. The only thing preventing this would be the -1 vote I would expect from
Sonatype employees. An alternative approach to this would be to check it into a
new incubator project. This would only require a majority vote of the incubator
PMC and would be allowable under the license. However, I don't consider this a
viable option as it would be too disruptive to the incubator unless Sonatype
supported this, which it is clear they do not.

I believe in "The Apache Way" - Community over Code. I am not in favor of
adopting a direction that relegates the Maven project to almost the point of
irrelevance. However, I also believe that the community should not be blocked
by a single individual so if I am the only one who feels that gutting the Maven
project is a bad thing then I will simply abstain from voting. But frankly, the
arguments in favor of hosting Aether outside of the ASF has left me wondering
why the proposal wasn't to move the whole project out of the ASF.

And for what it is worth, I have appreciated when those of you who are employed
by Sonatype have explicitly included that in your replies on this topic.

Ralph