I have no idea how separating Scala API version can solve the
'compatibility' problem. Do you mean we have different version for
'ml.dmlc' namespace and 'org.apache' namespace? Do these two versions
have same behavior? How to tell which Scala API version works with
which MXNet core version? By document? How many users will read the
whole document and carefully pair the version id before they run into
a strange error and give up?

Moreover, changing namespace is an issue that is really rare and
hardly happens. For other 'compatibility' problem, for example, the
class/function definitions, should handle the compatibility itself.
You'll never expect a project to have a different version for changing
'calculate(int)' to 'calculate(float)', it should just add a new
function 'calculate(float)'.

Regarding 'In this case the Scala interface is clearly a separate
entity from the C API.'. Everything can be seen as a separate entity,
the mxnet engine, the graph description, operators, python API, gluon
API, etc. We should think carefully what we want to provide, and what
our users need.

As an example, Apache Spark, still has SparkR (R API), PySpark (Python
API), MLLib, GraphX ... as part of its release, and have the same
version as Spark core as well as its Scala/Java API.

--
Yizhi Liu
DMLC member