On 26/05/2011 Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> I don't wish to be misunderstood. My point is not that having a good
> discussion about OpenOffice.org is out of the question here, on OOo
> lists. I find that fine, and the location quite proper. But such a
> discussion ought to be—must be—about OOo, its NLCs, its contributors,
> its goals, its options.

OK, let's stick to these topics then. The last information we had from
Oracle dates from more than one month ago, and was about turning
OpenOffice.org into a "purely community-based project": vague at least,
since it said nothing about what Oracle's commitment in terms of
workforce would be in future.

Since then, the only things I can see are a noticeable slowdown (albeit
not a complete stop) in development and a general lack of response to
community requests.

Dozens of Italian translators are still waiting for the l10n build
scheduled for May 5th and postponed to May 12th on May 9th, see
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease34 and I'd like to
reassure them that their work won't be lost.

Everybody would like to know if, after releasing a very impressive,
solid, innovative 3.4 beta release, the OpenOffice.org projects is going
to release 3.4 stable, and if there is a timeframe for it.

> Naturally, I also believe that any discussion in which we begin to lay
> out approaches to the future of OOo development—and there is a future—
> really needs to be done carefully

Sure, but we can't have a proper discussion unless we get to know what
Oracle means by "purely community-based project" and especially about
its involvement and investments in the project: the experienced
StarDivision/Sun/Oracle developers cannot be replaced without a huge
technical loss for the project, and knowing whether we can still count
on them affects the whole discussion.

Regards,
  Andrea Pescetti - Italian N-L Project Lead.