When installing NiFi in production, Ansible can be used to set up JAVA_HOME. There is zero problem for users of NiFi.

However, from a development host, given the now rapid cadence of Java releases, we sometimes run into problems launching a private installation of NiFi in the course of testing or debugging our custom processors because tools used minute-to-minute and all day long like IntelliJ IDEA (and others) march on requiring later and later Java versions.

I found an old JIRA issue that suggests a solution for NiFi 0.1.0, that of working around the problem by setting java=  in /conf/bootstrap.conf/ to point to a valid Java 1.8 JRE/JDK. This sounds good to me, but the version is very old.

Is this still best practice?