While that sentiment was expressed on a thread about another topic, it should
be understood that the idea of *increasing* Java dependency does not reflect an
agreed project direction.

Before that could be considered, it seems to me that a number of issues around
Java dependency need to be addressed first, especially those that introduce
crashers in unexpected ways.

This should be on a thread of its own, now that I think about it.  The current
usability issues need to be called out and their impact appreciated.

 - Dennis