On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:44:52 -0700
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <orc...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> redirecting the most recent case so we can put light on this situation.
>
> Before the dependencies on Java are increased/improved, I think there is a
> crucial usability matter.
>
>  1. Currently users are trap-doored by exercising a feature or dialog that
> suddenly raises a Java dependency, sometimes for which there is no escape
> other than finding a way to shut down AOO that is not a normally-required
> skill.
>
>  2. The fact that full functioning of AOO is buried in the system
> requirements in a way that users can easily overlook (or never examine) is a
> problem.  We can fix that page, even providing (or linking to) specific
> details of what the dependencies are. That would be useful so developers and
> power-users have the details.  However, the system requirements are probably
> not read by most who download the software (based on over 40 million
> downloads of 4.1.1, overwhelmingly on systems designed for casual users).
>
>  3. If the installer required presence of Java, that would be a clear
> indication that it is required for operation.  It would also be helpful if
> the installer provided an usable link for installing a workable Java if one
> is not present.
>
>  4. If the presence of Java is indeed optional, and the user does not have it
> or elects not to use it, AOO should not even offer functions for which Java
> is required.  That is another way to improve the usability and at least avoid
> users falling through trap-doors.
>
>  5. Shouldn't we do this better?  Or are we to decree that AOO is only
> intended for power-users who have strong skills with regard to managing their
> configurations, managing the install of dependencies, trouble-shooting and
> being able to work around the not-dependable way things work now?
>
> Three paths come to mind.
>
>  A. Remove the Java dependencies.
>
>  B. Adjust the Java dependencies,
>     1. So that the dependencies are clear and the situation around failures
> to find a suitable JRE is made workable for casual users.  This could involve
> the above (2-4) remedies.
>     2. Only then consider increasing the dependencies on Java for
> full-function operation in some controllable way.
>
>  C. Make AOO a Java application that has C++ components, rather than the
> reverse.
>
> These are all serious.  Probably on the way to either A or C, one must
> address B.
>
> We also need to consider what the project's capacity for any of these cases
> happens to be.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: There is a bigger question about platform presence in here.  There are
> distributions for which Java dependency is not particularly attractive and we
> may be cutting ourselves off from those.  That might not matter if we are
> talking about the small percentage of the downloads that are for neither

I am aware that there is an undercurrent among computer users against Java
because of various security holes - whether real or generated by media
paranoia.  My reaction would be that the basic (i.e., unextended program)
should be written in as secure a language as possible and extensions (which are
an optional install) written as suits their author.

Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>