GnomeVFS was discontinued a long time ago, and replaced by GIO (and GVFS)
instead.

Luckily we support both. Pass --enable-gio and --disable-gnome-vfs to
./configure. And you can build OpenOffice without either of them, but it
would probably limit access to files on filesystems that those provide (eg.
on remote servers).

Regards
Damjan