> On Oct 31, 2016, at 12:22 PM, Russell Bryant <russ...@ovn.org> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 5:23 PM, Justin Pettit <jpet...@ovn.org> wrote:
>
>> > On Oct 29, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Russell Bryant <russ...@ovn.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > +
>> > +The following table identifies the planned dates for upcoming release
>> > +milestones.
>> > +
>> > +| Release Milestone              | Approximate Date  |
>> > +| ------------------------------ | ----------------- |
>> > +| branch-2.7 created             | Jan 11, 2017      |
>> > +| 2.7.0 released from branch-2.7 | Feb 8, 2017       |
>>
>> I'm fine with jiggering our release schedule for 2.7.  However, this changes
>> from a formula-based table to one specific to 2.7.  Is there a reason you
>> didn't just adjust the dates in the original table?  I'm hoping that we
>> won't be shifting the dates all that often that we'd need to update the
>> documentation for each release.
>>
> I was thinking we'd update this for every release.  We'd be aiming for six
> months, but we'd pick specific dates each time, after looking at alignment or
> conflicts (major holidays, events, other project schedules, ...).  Another
> reason was that I was proposing a shorter time between branch-2.7 creation
> and release for the shorter release cycle, so it didn't fit the formula.  I
> don't mind changing the table back, but then I'm not sure where to document
> the proposed deviation from the formula for 2.7.

I understand the logic, but I think if we update it every release, it won't
give people much confidence that there's a regular release cadence--even if we
do adhere to it.  There's already some wiggle-room in the dates, so I wouldn't
expect holidays and other events to cause us to miss the deadlines by much.  In
terms of the 2.7 release, I think the commit message does a fine job of
explaining why the dates were modified.

--Justin