IMO the last one is after incubation which is the biggest problem here.
Other releases were from 2017.

Is there a way this user can make do with commit tag, and build from source?

Also, I’d also encourage discussions or requests with this user to be on
dev@ - as the community can benefit from that conversation and it
performance work as well. And perhaps we could get to an acceptable
alternative there.