Hi all,

in a discussion with Ben on the Kafka Connect adapter. He was trying to stay
compatible with the past in order to not break anything with existing
installations. As of know I don’t know of a single usage of it anywhere.

The thing is: we developed a lot of stuff and as of now we don’t really know
who is actually using what. And in the past I have seen multiple times that
stuff I was thought to be used, actually couldn’t have and I was wasting my
energy in keeping things compatible while it would have been better to change
them.

So how about we call out loud on all channels that we promise to pay attention
to parts we know are being used. And the only way we can know about this, is if
the companies actually tell us.

I’d even call it out as “We are working hard on reaching the version 1.0.0 and
for this we might want to clean up and change a few things”.

This way we can assure we evolve the different parts as freely as possible. If
someone complains that we broke something they were using, we’ve got an excuse
and perhaps we’ll get more official statements about usage this way?

What do you think?