Hi Andreas,

I didn't want to upset you. I should have been a bit more clear on this:

In 2018, when I was travelling through the country proclaiming PLC4X, all I
heard was: But OPC-UA can do all of this (Without having tested it) ... 2019
most of the people who tried it were already looking for alternatives. End of
2019 and beginning of 2020 was definitely the age of MQTT (Of course OPC UA now
provided a MQTT-like communication form).

I think OPC-UA is great for machine-to-machine communication and stuff like
dashboards. But as soon as you want to do high volume data acquisition.
Especially for use cases like machine-learning etc. the processing power of
even modern PLCs can't handle the load.

For example, at one of the biggest German car manufacturers, they were not able
to get more than 200 datapoints every 2 seconds from a new S7 400 PLC via
OPC-UA. These are probably the most powerful ones Siemens has to offer. If they
requested 300, the PLC shut down the IO process due to overload. With PLC4X
using the S7 protocol, we were able to get 2600 datapoints in 200ms from the
same machines.

On the client side on one of the standard VMs they were using, running the
OPC-UA stack was able to collect data on 10 PLCs with 200 datapoints. Then the
CPU power was 100% ... in our case we run PLC4X on the same VMs using S7 and
there we could collect 200 PLCs with 2600 datapoints. So also on the client
side OPC-UA is a very fat project, that requires a lot of CPU time.

I hope this explains things a bit more. If you are just reading a few
datapoints or using OPC-UA for Server-to-Server communication the servers will
be able to cope with more. And if it doesn't you just add more nodes to the
compute cluster.

Chris