Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your input :-)

With my statement I was referring to Modbus-TCP which will most likely be used
with TCP, but I agree I should have chosen a different example. (We should
investigate how Modbus-ASCII differs and mabe also directly support that). I
guess even Modbus is probably the version with the most variants in transport
being used. However, I would highly doubt, that for example PROFINET will be
anything else than raw ethernet frames sent on a raw transport (with UDP for
setting up the connection).

I didn't want to limit PLC4X to use only the "supported" ones, in general I
think if a user wants to do PROFINET via Serial, the framework shouldn't keep
him from trying, but the user shouldn't expect it to work.

Also testing all these combinations is a bit tricky, as they require hardware
for testing, and I at least don't have that.

Would you please be so kind and start a new thread about the problems you were
mentioning?

Are you planning on bringing your Modbus-RTU work back to the project? Cause
that's been something there was quite a bit of discussion about and interest
for.

I think for protocols like EIP, KNX and BacNET there seems to be a wider range
of interpretations in the Specs, and we have seen a number of "interpretation"
by vendors that seem to differ from the specs. So it might be that for the one
or the other device or vendor, we might have to come up with flavors, variants
or modes in the drivers. However again, this is a bit problematic as we don't
have the hardware.

Auto-discovery is also something we have started working on ... I think the Go
version is a bit more ahead regarding that, but for example PROFINET (WIP)
already allows auto-detecting devices. Do you want to join in on working on
this (Auto-discovery in general)?

I think regarding your request to tweak the settings of the transport:
Transports do have a list of supported options and we generally wanted to run
the transports with sensible defaults (defaults provided by the corresponding
driver) and make them overridable with options in the connection-string. So
some of this tweaking should already be possible. However especially regarding
serial transport options, I haven't got any hardware using any non-defaults, so
difficult to test.

Chris