Whenever we publish a release candidate, we create a temporary maven
repository that host the artifacts. We do this precisely for the case
you are running into (where a user wants to build an application
against it to test).

You can build against the release candidate by just adding that
repository in your sbt build, then linking against "spark-core"
version "1.0.0". For rc9 the repository is in the vote e-mail:

http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/VOTE-Release-Apache-Spark-1-0-0-rc9-td6629.html