You can call resolve method on ActorSelection.resolveOne() to see if the
actor is still there or the path is correct. The method returns a future
and you can wait for it with timeout. This way, you know the actor is live
or already dead or incorrect.

Another way, is to send Identify method to ActorSystem, if it returns with
correct identified message; then you can act on it, otherwise, ...

hope this helps

Chester