I reproduced the problem in mllib tests ALSSuite.scala using the following
functions:

        val arrayPredict = userProductsRDD.map{case(user,product) =>

         val recommendedProducts = model.recommendProducts(user, products)

         val productScore = recommendedProducts.find{x=>x.product == product
}

          require(productScore != None)

          productScore.get

        }.collect

        arrayPredict.foreach { elem =>

          if (allRatings.get(elem.user, elem.product) != elem.rating)

          fail("Prediction APIs don't match")

        }

If the usage of model.recommendProducts is correct, the test fails with the
same error I sent before...

org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job aborted due to stage failure: Task 0
in stage 316.0 failed 1 times, most recent failure: Lost task 0.0 in stage
316.0 (TID 79, localhost): scala.MatchError: null

org.apache.spark.rdd.PairRDDFunctions.lookup(PairRDDFunctions.scala:825)

org.apache.spark.mllib.recommendation.MatrixFactorizationModel.recommendProducts(MatrixFactorizationModel.scala:81)

It is a blocker for me and I am debugging it. I will open up a JIRA if this
is indeed a bug...

Do I have to cache the models to make userFeatures.lookup(user).head to
work ?