Sure, can Jenkins use this new image too? If not then it doesn't help with
reproducing a Jenkins failure, most of which even Jenkins can't reproduce.
But if it does and it can be used for builds then that does seem like it is
reducing rather than increasing environment configurations which is good.

That's different from developer setup. Surely that is a large number of
permutations to maintain? Win, Linux, OS X at least. Whereas I have not
needed nor probably would want a whole second tool chain on my machine for
Spark... for me it doesn't solve a problem. So just wondering how many
people this will help as devs versus some apparent big maintenance
overhead.

Although if this could replace the scripts that try to fetch sbt and mvn et
al that alone could save enough complexity to make it worthwhile. Would it
do that?