Niranda,

I'm not sure if I'd say Spark's use of Jetty to expose its UI monitoring
layer constitutes a use of "two web servers in a single product". Hadoop
uses Jetty as well as do many other applications today that need embedded
http layers for serving up their monitoring UI to users. This is completely
aside from any web container an application developer would use to interact
with Spark and Hadoop and service domain-specific content to users. The two
are disjoint.

Many applications use Thrift as a means of establishing socket connections
between clients and across servers. One alternative to Thrift is Protobuf.
You wouldn't say "I want to swap out thrift for protobuf in Cassandra
because I want to use protobuf in my application and there shouldn't be two
different socket layer abstractions on my cluster."

I could understand wanting to do this if you were being forced to deploy a
war file to a web container in order to do the monitoring but Spark's UI is
embedded within the code. If you are worried about having the Jetty
libraries on your classpath, you can exclude the Jetty dependencies from
your servlet code if you want to interact with a SparkContext in Tomcat.