My philosophy has been basically what you suggested, Sean. One thing
you didn't mention though is if a bug fix seems complicated, I will
think very hard before back-porting it. This is because "fixes" can
introduce their own new bugs, in some cases worse than the original
issue. It's really bad to have some upgrade to a patch release and see
a regression - with our current approach this almost never happens.

I will usually try to backport up to N-2, if it can be back-ported
reasonably easily (for instance, with minor or no code changes). The
reason I do this is that vendors do end up supporting older versions,
and it's nice for them if some committer has backported a fix that
they can then pull in, even if we never ship it.

In terms of doing older maintenance releases, this one I think we
should do according to severity of issues (for instance, if there is a
security issue) or based on general command from the community. I
haven't initiated many 1.X.2 releases recently because I didn't see
huge demand. However, personally I don't mind doing these if there is
a lot of demand, at least for releases where ".0" has gone out in the
last six months.