I finally got this compiling and working, I think, but since (as Reynold
points out) it involves a little API refactoring, I was hoping to get some
discussion about it going as soon as possible.

I have the changes necessary to give RDD, DStream, and DataFrame some level
of common interface, in https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/5565, and
would very much appreciate comments.

Thanks,
                                Nathan