In addition to Michael suggestion, in my SBT workflow I also use "~" to
automatically kickoff build and unit test. For example,

sbt/sbt "~streaming/test-only *BasicOperationsSuite*"

It will automatically detect any file changes in the project and start of
the compilation and testing.
So my full workflow involves changing code in IntelliJ and then
continuously running unit tests in the background on the command line using
this "~".

TD