In Spark we sometimes close issues as something other than "Fixed",
and this is an important part of maintaining our JIRA.

The current resolution types we use are the following:

Won't Fix - bug fix or (more often) feature we don't want to add
Invalid - issue is underspecified or not appropriate for a JIRA issue
Duplicate - duplicate of another JIRA
Cannot Reproduce - bug that could not be reproduced
Not A Problem - issue purports to represent a bug, but does not

I would like to propose adding a few new resolutions. This will
require modifying the ASF JIRA, but infra said they are open to
proposals as long as they are considered of broad interest.

My issue with the current set of resolutions are that "Won't Fix" is a
big catch all we use for many different things. Most often it's used
for things that aren't even bugs even though it has "Fix" in the name.
I'm proposing adding:

Inactive - A feature or bug that has had no activity from users or
developers in a long time
Out of Scope - A feature proposal that is not in scope given the projects goals
Later - A feature not on the immediate roadmap, but potentially of
interest longer term (this one already exists, I'm just proposing to
start using it)

I am in no way proposing changes to the decision making model around
JIRA's, notably that it is consensus based and that all resolutions
are considered tentative and fully reversible.

The benefits I see of this change would be the following:
1. Inactive: A way to clear out inactive/dead JIRA's without
indicating a decision has been made one way or the other.
2. Out of Scope: It more clearly explains closing out-of-scope
features than the generic "Won't Fix". Also makes it more clear to
future contributors what is considered in scope for Spark.
3. Later: A way to signal that issues aren't targeted for a near term
version. This would help avoid the mess we have now of like 200+
issues targeted at each version and target version being a very bad
indicator of actual roadmap. An alternative on this one is to have a
version called "Later" or "Parking Lot" but not close the issues.

Any thoughts on this?

- Patrick