Hey Chester,

Thanks for sending this. It's very helpful to have this list.

The reason we made the Client API private was that it was never
intended to be used by third parties programmatically and we don't
intend to support it in its current form as a stable API. We thought
the fact that it was for internal use would be obvious since it
accepts arguments as a string array of CL args. It was always intended
for command line use and the stable API was the command line.

When we migrated the Launcher library we figured we covered most of
the use cases in the off chance someone was using the Client. It
appears we regressed one feature which was a clean way to get the app
ID.

The items you list here 2-6 all seem like new feature requests rather
than a regression caused by us making that API private.

I think the way to move forward is for someone to design a proper
long-term stable API for the things you mentioned here. That could
either be by extension of the Launcher library. Marcelo would be
natural to help with this effort since he was heavily involved in both
YARN support and the launcher. So I'm curious to hear his opinion on
how best to move forward.

I do see how apps that run Spark would benefit of having a control
plane for querying status, both on YARN and elsewhere.

- Patrick