One related note here is that we have a Java version of this that is
an abstract class - in the doc it says that it exists more or less to
allow for binary compatibility (it says it's for Java users, but
really Scala could use this also):

https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/apache/spark/JavaSparkListener.java#L23

I think it might be reasonable that the Scala trait provides only
source compatibitly and the Java class provides binary compatibility.

- Patrick