Sean B.,

Thank you for giving a thorough reply. I will work with Sean O. and
see what we can change to make us more in line with the stated policy.

I did some research and it appears that some time between October [1]
and December [2] 2006, this page was modified to include stricter
policy surrounding nightly builds. Actually, the original version of
the policy page encouraged projects to post nightly builds for the
benefit of all developers, just as we have been doing.

If you detect frustration from the Spark community, it's because this
type of situation occurs with some regularity. In this case:

(a) A policy exists from ~10 years ago, presumably because some
project back then had problematic release management practices and so
a "policy" needed to be created to solve a problem.
(b) The policy is outdated now, and no one is 100% sure why it was
created (likely many of the people are no longer involved in the ASF
who helped craft it).
(c) The steps for how to change it are unclear and there isn't clear
ownership of the policy document.

I think it's unavoidable given the decentralized organization
structure of the ASF, but I just want to be up front about our
perspective and why you might sense some frustration.

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20061020220358/http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
[2]
https://web.archive.org/web/20061231050046/http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html