Thanks for that additional tip, Michael. Backticks fix the problem query in
which an identifier was transformed into a string literal. So this works
now...

  // now correctly resolves the unnormalized column id
  sqlContext.sql("""select `b` from test_data""").show

Any suggestion about how to escape an embedded double quote?

  // java.sql.SQLSyntaxErrorException: Syntax error: Encountered "\"" at
line 1, column 12.
  sqlContext.sql("""select `c"d` from test_data""").show

  // org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: cannot resolve 'c\"d' given
input columns A, b, c"d; line 1 pos 7
  sqlContext.sql("""select `c\"d` from test_data""").show

Thanks,
-Rick

Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com> wrote on 09/22/2015 01:16:12 PM:

> From: Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com>
> To: Richard Hillegas/San Francisco/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: Dev <dev@spark.apache.org>
> Date: 09/22/2015 01:16 PM
> Subject: Re: column identifiers in Spark SQL
>
> HiveQL uses `backticks` for quoted identifiers.
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Richard Hillegas <rhil...@us.ibm.com>
wrote:
> Thanks for that tip, Michael. I think that my sqlContext was a raw
> SQLContext originally. I have rebuilt Spark like so...
>
>   sbt/sbt -Phive assembly/assembly
>
> Now I see that my sqlContext is a HiveContext. That fixes one of the
> queries. Now unnormalized column names work:
>
>   // ...unnormalized column names work now
>   sqlContext.sql("""select a from test_data""").show
>
> However, quoted identifiers are still treated as string literals:
>
>   // this still returns rows consisting of the string literal "b"
>   sqlContext.sql("""select "b" from test_data""").show
>
> And embedded quotes inside quoted identifiers are swallowed up:
>
>   // this now returns rows consisting of the string literal "cd"
>   sqlContext.sql("""select "c""d" from test_data""").show
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick
>
> Michael Armbrust <mich...@databricks.com> wrote on 09/22/2015 10:58:36
AM: