I’m starting a new thread since the other one got intermixed with feature
requests. Please refrain from making feature request in this thread. Not
that we shouldn’t be adding features, but we can always add features in
1.7, 2.1, 2.2, ...

First - I want to propose a premise for how to think about Spark 2.0 and
major releases in Spark, based on discussion with several members of the
community: a major release should be low overhead and minimally disruptive
to the Spark community. A major release should not be very different from a
minor release and should not be gated based on new features. The main
purpose of a major release is an opportunity to fix things that are broken
in the current API and remove certain deprecated APIs (examples follow).

For this reason, I would *not* propose doing major releases to break
substantial API's or perform large re-architecting that prevent users from
upgrading. Spark has always had a culture of evolving architecture
incrementally and making changes - and I don't think we want to change this
model. In fact, we’ve released many architectural changes on the 1.X line.

If the community likes the above model, then to me it seems reasonable to
do Spark 2.0 either after Spark 1.6 (in lieu of Spark 1.7) or immediately
after Spark 1.7. It will be 18 or 21 months since Spark 1.0. A cadence of
major releases every 2 years seems doable within the above model.

Under this model, here is a list of example things I would propose doing in
Spark 2.0, separated into APIs and Operation/Deployment:

APIs

1. Remove interfaces, configs, and modules (e.g. Bagel) deprecated in Spark
1.x.

2. Remove Akka from Spark’s API dependency (in streaming), so user
applications can use Akka (SPARK-5293). We have gotten a lot of complaints
about user applications being unable to use Akka due to Spark’s dependency
on Akka.

3. Remove Guava from Spark’s public API (JavaRDD Optional).

4. Better class package structure for low level developer API’s. In
particular, we have some DeveloperApi (mostly various listener-related
classes) added over the years. Some packages include only one or two public
classes but a lot of private classes. A better structure is to have public
classes isolated to a few public packages, and these public packages should
have minimal private classes for low level developer APIs.

5. Consolidate task metric and accumulator API. Although having some subtle
differences, these two are very similar but have completely different code
path.

6. Possibly making Catalyst, Dataset, and DataFrame more general by moving
them to other package(s). They are already used beyond SQL, e.g. in ML
pipelines, and will be used by streaming also.

Operation/Deployment

1. Scala 2.11 as the default build. We should still support Scala 2.10, but
it has been end-of-life.

2. Remove Hadoop 1 support.

3. Assembly-free distribution of Spark: don’t require building an enormous
assembly jar in order to run Spark.