for #1-3, the answer is likely No.

  Recently we upgrade to Spark 1.5.1, with CDH5.3, CDH5.4 and HDP2.2  and
others.

  We were using CDH5.3 client to talk to CDH5.4. We were doing this to see
if we support many different hadoop cluster versions without changing the
build. This was ok for yarn-cluster spark 1.3.1, but could not get spark
1.5.1 started. We upgrade the client to CDH5.4, then everything works.

  There are API changes between Apache 2.4 and 2.6, not sure you can mix
match them.

Chester