Actually answering the first question:

Is there a reason to use conf to read SPARK_WORKER_MEMORY not
System.getenv as for the other env vars?

You can use the properties file to change the amount, System.getenv would
be bad when you have for example other things running on the JVM which will
cause conflict on some parts.
 Defined usage in properties files is more convenience for custom UI to be
made available.