Hi Jacek,

We will try to create the default database if it does not exist. Hive
actually relies on that AlreadyExistsException to determine if a db already
exists and ignore the error to implement the logic of "CREATE DATABASE IF
NOT EXISTS". So, that message does not mean any bad thing happened. I think
we can avoid of having this error log by changing
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/sql/catalyst/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/catalyst/catalog/SessionCatalog.scala#L84-L91.
Basically, we will check if the default db already exists and we only call
create database if the default db does not exist. Do you want to try it?

Thanks,

Yin