It's not about technical design disagreement as to matters of taste,
it's about familiarity with the domain.  To make an analogy, it's as
if a committer in MLlib was firmly intent on, I dunno, treating a
collection of categorical variables as if it were an ordered range of
continuous variables.  It's just wrong.  That kind of thing, to a
greater or lesser degree, has been going on related to the Kafka
modules, for years.