Thanks a lot Michael! I really appreciate your sharing.
Logistically, I suggest to find a way to tag all structured streaming
JIRAs, so it wouldn't so hard to look for them, for anyone wanting to
participate, and also have something like the ML roadmap JIRA.
regarding your list, evicting space seems very important. If I understand
correctly, currently state grows forever (when using windows), so it is
impractical to run a long-running streaming job with decent state. It would
be great if user could bound the state by event time (it is also very
natural).
I personally see sessionization as lower priority (seems like a niche
requirement). To me, supporting only a single stream of events that can
only be joined to static datasets makes building anything but the simplest
of short-running streaming jobs problematic (all interesting datasets
change over time). Also, the promise of interactive queries on top of a
computed, live dataset likely has a wider appeal (as it was presented since
early this year as one of the goals of structured streaming). Also making
the sources and sinks API nicer to third-party developers to encourage
adoption and plugins, or beefing up the list of builtin exactly-once
sources and sinks (maybe also have a pluggable state store, as I've seen
some wanting, which may better enable interactive queries).
In addition, I think you should really identify what needs to be done to
make this API stable and focus on that. I think that for adoption, you'll
need to be clear on the full list of gaps / gotchas, and clearly
communicate the project priorities / target timeline (again, just like ML
does it), hopefully after some community discussion...

On a personal note, I'm quite surprised that this is all the progress in
Structured Streaming over the last three months since 2.0 was released. I
was under the impression that this was one of the biggest things that the
Spark community actively works on, but that is clearly not the case, given
that most of the activity is a couple of (very important) JIRAs from the
last several weeks. Not really sure how to parse that yet...
I think having some clearer, prioritized roadmap going forward will be a
good first to recalibrate expectations for 2.2 and for graduating from an
alpha state. But especially, I think you guys seriously needs to figure out
what's the bottleneck here (lack of dedicated owner? lack of commiters
focusing on it?) and just fix it (recruit new commiters to work on it?) to
have a competitive streaming offering in a few quarters.

Just my two cents,

Ofir Manor

Co-Founder & CTO | Equalum

Mobile: +972-54-7801286 | Email: ofir.ma...@equalum.io